Nehemiah 8- Ezra Reads the Law
- 1- Note they came as ONE man ...ready to learn together
- 2- NOTE one man meant BOTH men and women learning together who could UNDERSTAND
- 3- The focus is on those paying ATTENTION
- 4-5- Positioning was important in how the teaching was put forth
- 6- WORSHIP INVOLVED INVOKING GOD’S WORD AND IN LIFTING OF HANDS TO THE HEAVENS
- 7- helping to UNDERSTAND is the job of the teachers
- 8- UNDERSTAND- to discern...perceive ...grasp...consider or regard. REVIVAL DID NOT COME UNTIL THE PEOPLE UNDERSTOOD THE TEXT
- 10- BEAUTIFUL VERSE SHOWING HOW PROSPERITY SHOULD BE SPREAD AROUND….
- 11- There was much they had NOT obeyed but guilt was NOT the point here ...rather living and spreading God’s goodness was…
- 12- THEY TAKE ACTION BECAUSE THEY UNDERSTAND...GRASP THE WORD OF GOD
- 13- The LEADERS go through a special training session
- 14- 17- The feast of Tabernacles or Booths had not been celebrated since the days of Joshua ...today this feast is held every year around the world. In places like New York City you will actually see little leafy booths on apartment balconies
- THERE WAS GREAT GLADNESS
- 18- THINGS PUT INTO PRECISE ORDER….
Nehemiah 9- The People Confess their Sins
- 1-3- A great separation takes place between Israel and the foreigners. All entering the covenant had to be pure
- NOTE- JESUS MAKES US PURE SO WE CAN BE IN COVENANT WITH GOD
- 4- Loud prayers or declarations are not uncommon
- 4-37- Some of the Levites prayed to God and exhorted the people. The righteous Lord has created and preserved the world and the hosts of heaven worship Him. He chose Abram, and the events of Nehemiah’s day were the result of God’s faithfulness to His covenant relationship with Abram. All of God’s dealings with Abraham's descendants are recounted and revolve around that covenant.
- 13- STATUTES- An enactment..engraving...inscription...written rule...decreed limit...law or custom
- 38- The surety of keeping the covenant is in the hands of the leaders
Nehemiah 10- The People who sealed the Covenant
- 1-39- God’s people enter into a covenant with God. Areas needed cleansing are pointed out...sabbath...offerings...tithe...care of the temple. The 21 priests, 17 Levites and 44 leaders of the people along with Nehemiah and Zedekiah renew a pledge to walk in God’s law.
- 28- Knowledge and understanding are REQUIRED for true COVENANT
- 32- This had been up to one half shekel in prior times but to get things started and due to economic hardship Nehemiah had for now reduced this fee for the service of the house. This is also a scaled down version of what had once been
- 35-39- Heavy emphasis on giving ...learning and praising is restored.
Nehemiah 11- The People living in Jerusalem
- 1-2- A repopulation program is set into order starting with the city of Jerusalem
- 3-24- Nehemiah’s central role and success in repopulation
- 20- EVERYONE IN HIS INHERITANCE…..GOD’S ASSIGNMENT
- 21- Nethinim- temple servants- janitors ...maintenance...repair
- 24- Pethahiah- Jewish ambassador to the Persian court
- 23- Importance of the singers again pointed out
- 25-36- The people outside the city of Jerusalem in Judah and Bethlehem
Nehemiah 12- The priests and Levites
- 1-26- LIst of original priests and Levites from the original return until the time of writing
- 27-43- Nehemiah Dedicates the Wall
- 27-29- Major celebration and thanksgiving involving music and singers- OUR SUNDAY MORNING SERVICE IS THIS
- 41- Trumpets…
- 42- Loud singers….
- 43- Great sacrifice and rejoicing ...even the kids participated...HEARD EVERYWHERE
- NOTE- EZRA’S PROCESSION TRAVELED AROUND JERUSALEM COUNTERCLOCKWISE ...NEHEMIAH CLOCKWISE ...MEETING AT THE TEMPLE SQUARE ...BOTH RELIGION AND GOVERNMENT WERE HONORED IN THIS WAY
- 44- Finances of the church and ministry are put into order
- 45-46- Singers and gatekeepers are in charge of first steps to worship. They restore the rules of David and Solomon. MANY OF OUR FOUNDATIONS NEED RESTORATION
- 47-Support of the priests and Levites was generous because they had ministered well.
Back to Read Through the Bible 2022