2 Chronicles 14- Asa Reigns in Judah
- 1- Because of the reign of Abijah...his son Asa inherits a stable kingdom. For 10 years things have gone very well. Ten means testimony or responsibility. That 10 years of goodness were a testimony to the responsible kingship of Abijah.
- 2-5- He does what is right and puts things in order as king.
- 6- HE COULD BUILD BECAUSE HE HAD REST...AND HE HAD REST BECAUSE THERE WAS NO WAR ...GOD WANTS OUR LIVES TO BE WAR FREE ZONES.
- 7- TAKE ADVANTAGE OF PEACETIME IN LIFE TO BUILD YOUR INHERITANCE
- 9- Largest army in OT history…..one million Ethiopians coming to take Judah
- 11- Asa intercedes for JUDAH that God will give them a SUPERNATURAL victory
- 12-13- With God’s help Judah defeats and PLUNDERS the army (one million!) of Ethiopia
- 14-15- WHEN WE TAKE OUT THE ENEMY IN OUR LIVES THE RESULT SHOULD BE A WINDFALL OF RESOURCE INTO OUR LIVES...BOUNTY AND ABUNDANCE COME WITH EACH VICTORY
2 Chronicles 15- The Reforms of Asa
- 1- Another instance of the Holy Spirit coming upon a person TEMPORARILY….we get Him PERMANENT
- 2- God is with us when we are in HIS WILL
- 3- Israel lacked a BELIEF in God ...REAL teachers...NO order and law
- 4- BUT when they turned to God He as always was there
- 5- Danger existed across the board creating economic chaos
- 6- The process was city by city and progressive in dissolving the prosperity of the land
- 7- Similar word God had issued over the years before…
- 8-13- The response from Asa was immediate and complete cleansing of the land
- 14- Praise is restored…
- 15- REST IS NOW GIVEN ALL AROUND- ECONOMIC UPTURN...LAW AND ORDER
- 16-19- Final results- removal of NEARLY every obstacle and THEREFORE the removal of war
2 Chronicles 16- Asa’s Treaty with Syria
- 1-14- Asa goes to war and gets some help
- 4-5- NOTE- When we are attacked it will stop our WORK…
- 6- King Asa continues to expand his kingdom
- 7-8- BUT this is NOT what God wanted ...for Asa to rely on others. He wanted him to rely on HIM...God.
- 9- AWESOME VERSE- GOD IS LOOKING FOR PLACES TO BE GOD ON EARTH...SHOW OFF IN SOMEONE’S LIFE
- 10- RESPONSE IS OUR CHOICE- Asa responded by imprisoning the prophet
- 12- INTERESTING VERSE- Asa is deathly ill but turns to DOCTORS rather than GOD. Indications are that God would have healed him.
2 Chronicles 17- Jehoshaphat Reigns in Judah
- 1-3- NOTE- Walking with God means NOT seeking out other god’s for help.
- 4- He followed God’s commandments….
- 5- THE KINGDOM ESTABLISHED = PRESENTS...RICHES...HONOR IN ABUNDANCE
- 6- The king actually ENJOYED doing things that pleased God.
- 7- RESTORES THE TEACHERS
- 8-9- The priests accompanied the teachers to give details of the law that had been lost
- 10- AMAZING THAT A WELL EDUCATED PEOPLE WERE A THREAT TO THE SURROUNDING KINGDOMS ...COULD NOT BE PENETRATED
- 11- Even the Philistines paid tribute ...ALL BECAUSE JEHOSHAPHAT served the Lord
- 12- ...and he became POWERFUL
- 13-19- commerce...military ...banking...education all were at the max during the reign of Jehoshaphat
2 Chronicles 18- Micaiah Warns Ahab
- 1- Jehoshaphat had RICHES and HONOR in ABUNDANCE…
- 2-6- Ahad manipulates Jehoshaphat to join him as an ally in war ...Jehoshaphat wants to hear from a prophet
- 7-12- The prophetic team has a positive word for the king and tells Micaiah to deliver the same word ...be consistent. After all, if the king dies he can’t come after the prophets. If he lives they LOOK good!
- 13- Micaiah is one of the last honest prophets in Israel...he should have moved to Judah where Jehoshaphat would have given him some honor.
- 14- He does try to agree with the prophets out of irritation.
- 15- Ahab pushes for the truth…
- 16- TRUTH- YOU WON’T WIN THIS ONE...NO REAL LEADERSHIP
- 17-22- The story behind the lying prophets. A discussion in the courts of heaven. Interesting study here.
- 23-24- TEST- If you are a prophet tell us who hit you ...He says, remember this conversation when you are running for your life.
- 26- NOTE- AFFLICTION IS NOT A DISEASE BUT A CONDITION OF LIFE
- 27- His last word is that there will be NO more words…
- 31- God RESCUES Jehoshaphat in battle…
- 32-34- The death of an evil king...into the sunset
Back to Read Through the Bible 2022